- vt. 忍受，容忍；停留；遵守
- vi. 持续；忍受；停留
CET6+ TEM8 GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
前缀a-来自古英语前缀ge-, 同com-, 表强调。bide,等待，停留。
- abide: see bide
- abide (v.)
- Old English abidan, gebidan "remain, wait, delay, remain behind," from ge- completive prefix (denoting onward motion; see a- (1)) + bidan "bide, remain, wait, dwell" (see bide). Originally intransitive (with genitive of the object: we abidon his "we waited for him"); transitive sense emerged in Middle English. Meaning "to put up with" (now usually negative) first recorded 1520s. Related: Abided; abiding. The historical conjugation is abide, abode, abidden, but the modern formation is now generally weak.
- 1. She couldn't abide his success.
- 2. Miss Furniss could not abide sloppiness.
- 3. I can't abide people with no sense of humour.
- 4. You must abide by the results of your mistakes.
- 5. If you join the club, you have to abide by its rules.
- 如果你参加俱乐部, 你就得遵守它的规章.
[ abide 造句 ]