- n. 冬青树（等于holm oak）
- adj. 冬青属植物的
- n. (Holly)人名；(英、德、捷、罗)霍利；(西)奥利
1. HollyWood (好莱坞：字面含义：冬青树林) => holly.
- holly (n.)
- mid-15c., earlier holin (mid-12c.), shortening of Old English holegn "holly," from Proto-Germanic *hulin- (cognates: Old Saxon, Old High German hulis, Old Norse hulfr, Middle Dutch huls, Dutch, German hulst "holly"), cognate with Middle Irish cuilenn, Welsh celyn, Gaelic cuilionn "holly," probably all from PIE root *kel- (5) "to prick" (cognates: Old Church Slavonic kolja "to prick," Russian kolos "ear of corn"), in reference to its leaves. French houx "holly" is from Frankish *huls or some other Germanic source.
- 1. David delivered Holly gratefully into the woman's outstretched arms.
- 2. She came out with two packages wrapped in holly-sprigged paper.
- 3. He died at Holly Hall, his wife's family home.
- 4. a sprig of holly
- 5. The room was lavishly decorated with tinsel and holly.
[ holly 造句 ]