CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1. bet(赌博) + ray(光线) => 聚众赌博为光线，赌注为光线，大家聚众赌博，结果被人告密、出卖。
3. 【记】be + traitor 成了叛徒；bet + tray 赌博盘子，指为了赌博成了叛徒；bet + try 试图赌博能使人走向背叛，自己的家庭，生活与亲人
前缀be-, 强调。-tray, 背叛，同traitor, 来自拉丁词tradare, 前缀tra, 转，词根don, 给予。
- betray:  Betray is an English formation based on the Old French verb traïr ‘betray’, which came from Latin tradere ‘hand over, deliver up’ (originally a compound formed from trans- ‘across’ and dāre ‘give’). The noun formed from tradere was trāditiō, from which English gets, directly, tradition, and indirectly, via Old French and Anglo-Norman, the appropriate treason.
=> tradition, treason
- betray (v.)
- late 13c., bitrayen "mislead, deceive, betray," from be- + obsolete Middle English tray, from Old French traine "betrayal, deception, deceit," from trair (Modern French trahir) "betray, deceive," from Latin tradere "hand over," from trans- "across" (see trans-) + dare "to give" (see date (n.1)). Related: Betrayed; betraying.
- 1. Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.
- 2. She pursed her lips together, as though fearing to betray her news.
- 3. They offered me money if I would betray my associates.
- 4. Although I didn't betray a trust, I feel I behaved shabbily.
- 5. We betray the ideals of our country when we support capital punishment.
[ betray 造句 ]