- vt. 指责，非难；制止；使相形见绌
- n. 非难，指责；谴责，鞭策
CET6+ TEM4 GRE TOEFL CET6
来自盎格鲁法语 rebuker,击退，打回，来自古法语 rebuchier,来自 re-,向后，往回，buschier, 击，打，来自 busche,灌木，木条，词源同 bush.
- rebuke (v.)
- early 14c., "to reprimand, reprove; chide, scold," from Anglo-French rebuker "to repel, beat back," Old French rebuchier, from re- "back" (see re-) + buschier "to strike, chop wood," from busche (French bÃÂ»che) "wood," from Proto-Germanic *busk- (see bush (n.)). Related: Rebuked; rebuking.
- rebuke (n.)
- early 15c., "a reproof, reprimand," from rebuke (v.).
- 1. "Silly little boy" was his favourite expression of rebuke to his pupils.
- 2. He had to put up with a smart rebuke from the teacher.
- 3. Even one minute's lateness would earn a stern rebuke.
- 4. He meekly accepted the rebuke.
- 5. He is callous to rebuke.
[ rebuke 造句 ]