CET4 TEM4 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1. ex- => es- => as- "out" + ton- "thunder" + -ish.
2. 这里的 as- "out" 取引申义，表示：离开、脱离正常的状态或情绪或表情。
3. 字面含义：thunder sb out. => leave someone thunderstruck.
4. 或者：out: 出去、离开、远离。=> 不管。=> 听任、让、使…处于(某种状态)(leave)。
as来自前缀ex- 变体，此处表强调。词根ton, 雷，拟声词，同thunder. 指如被雷击。
- astonish (v.)
- c. 1300, astonien, from Old French estoner "to stun, daze, deafen, astound," from Vulgar Latin *extonare, from Latin ex- "out" + tonare "to thunder" (see thunder); so, literally "to leave someone thunderstruck." The modern form (influenced by English verbs in -ish, such as distinguish, diminish) is attested from c. 1530.
No wonder is thogh that she were astoned [Chaucer, "Clerk's Tale"]
Related: Astonished; astonishing; astonishingly.
- 1. A matter of repeated occurrence like this will not astonish people.
- 2. My news will astonish you.
- 3. He purposed to both charm and astonish me by his appearance.
- 4. That'll astonish Timothy's weak nerves.
- 5. The magician's next trick will astonish you.
[ astonish 造句 ]