- adj. 招摇的；卖弄的；夸耀的；铺张的；惹人注目的
1. os- "in front of" + tent- + -ation.
2. 字面含义：stretched to the front. => show, expose to view, exhibit, display.
3. => apparent, professed.
5. ostentate + -ious(复合后缀：-y, -ous).
6. ostentation => ostentati- + -ous.
- ostentatious (adj.)
- 1701, from ostentation + -ous. Earlier in a similar sense were ostentative (c. 1600); ostentive (1590s). Related: Ostentatiously; ostentatiousness (1650s).
- 1. She's got a lovely way with language without ever sounding ostentatious.
- 2. He gave an ostentatious yawn.
- 3. They were neither aggressive nor ostentatious.
- 4. It was thought ostentatious of him.
- 5. Obviously he had plenty of money and was generous in its use without being ostentatious.
[ ostentatious 造句 ]