1、in- "into, in" + pal- "stake, wooden post" + -e.
- impale (v.)
- 1520s, "to enclose with stakes, fence in," from Middle French empaler and directly from Medieval Latin impalare "to push onto a stake," from assimilated form of in- "into, in" (see in- (2)) + Latin palus "a stake, prop, stay; wooden post, pole," from PIE *pak-slo-, from root *pag-/*pak- "to fasten" (see pact). Sense of "pierce with a pointed stake" (as torture or punishment) first recorded 1610s. Related: Impaled; impaling.
- 1. Researchers observed one bird impale a rodent on a cactus.
- 2. Singing among the savage branches, it impale itself upon the longest, sharpest spine.
- 3. I poisoned him, but I did not impale him on a spear!
- 我毒死了他, 但是我没有把他插在长矛上!
- 4. I say my arrow will impale your brain, now it comes.
- 我说过我的箭会刺穿你的脑袋, 现在它来了.
- 5. Impale - This will cause the target to bleed and suffer damage over time.
- 穿刺 - 让目标流血不止并持续一段时间的伤害.
[ impale 造句 ]