- n. 怪癖；急转；借口
- n. (Quirk)人名；(英)夸克
TEM8 IELTS GRE
1. quir- => guir- => guai- (怪) + r + k (客) => 怪客，怪儿客 => 有怪癖和古怪性格或行为的人。
3. queer <====> quirk.
- quirk (n.)
- 1560s, "quibble, evasion," of unknown origin, perhaps connected to German quer (see queer (adj.)) via notion of twisting and slanting; but its earliest appearance in western England dialect seems to argue against this source. Perhaps originally a technical term for a twist or flourish in weaving. Sense of "peculiarity" is c. 1600.
- 1. By a strange quirk of fate they had booked into the same hotel.
- 2. The spate of storms and hurricanes in recent years could be a statistical quirk.
- 3. By a tantalising quirk of fate, the pair have been drawn to meet in the first round of the championship.
- 4. Confirmations illustrate an interesting quirk of human behavior: They only work when they are unexpected.
- 确认对话框显示了人类行为的一个有趣怪癖, 即 它们只在意想不到时起作用.
来自About Face 3交互设计精髓
- 5. It can be regarded as merely a mathematical quirk of the theory of weak interactions.
[ quirk 造句 ]