- franc: see frank
- franc (n.)
- French coin, late 14c., frank, from French franc; a name said to have been given because Medieval Latin Francorum Rex, "King of the Franks" (see Frank), was inscribed on gold coins first made during the reign of Jean le Bon (1350-64). Used of different gold and silver coins over the years; as the name of an official monetary unit of France from 1795.
- 1. The Swiss franc has remained surprisingly strong.
- 2. The French government has devalued the franc by 20 percent.
- 3. The Swiss franc is a hard currency.
- 4. The franc had been under no pressure compared with the lira and the pound.
- 5. The purpose was to halt the rise in the exchange rate of the Swiss franc.
[ franc 造句 ]