CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
de-, 强调，整个的。-vot, 说，发愿，词源同vow, vote,voice. 引申义发下宏愿的，虔诚的。
- devote (v.)
- 1580s, from Latin devotus, past participle of devovere (see devotion). Second and third meanings in Johnson's Dictionary (1755) are "to addict, to give up to ill" and "to curse, to execrate; to doom to destruction." Related: Devoted; devoting.
- 1. Faculty members devote most of their time to scholarly research.
- 2. She had started to devote her energies to teaching rather than performing.
- 3. She forsook her worldly possessions to devote herself to the church.
- 4. After her marriage, she couldn't devote herself totally to her music.
- 5. He is determined to devote his life to science.
[ devote 造句 ]