- vt. 忽视；草率地看过；含糊地念；诋毁
- vi. 含糊地发音；潦草地写字；拖着脚走
- n. 污点；诽谤；连音符
CET6+ TEM8 GRE
1. 有lur的都有模糊的意思，blur（v 使模糊）.
2. slander + blur => slur.
来自辅音丛 sl-,黏滑的，淤泥的，泥浆的，比较 slop,slosh,slough,sludge.引申比喻义涂抹泥浆， 诽谤，侮辱。词义含混的说话可能来自拟声词。
- slur (n.)
- "deliberate slight, disparaging or slighting remark," c. 1600, from dialectal slur "thin or fluid mud," from Middle English slore (mid-15c.), cognate with Middle Low German sluren, Middle Dutch sloren "to trail in mud." Related to East Frisian sluren "to go about carelessly," Norwegian slora "to be careless." Literal sense of "a mark, stain, smear" is from 1660s in English. The musical sense (1746) is from the notion of "sliding." Meaning "act or habit of slurring" in speech is from 1882.
- slur (v.)
- c. 1600, "smear, soil by smearing," from slur (n.). Meaning "disparage depreciate" is from 1650s. In music, from 1746; of speech, from 1893. Related: Slurred; slurring.
- 1. This is yet another slur on the integrity of the Metropolitan Police.
- 2. The newscaster's speech began to slur.
- 3. His comments cast a slur on the integrity of his employees.
- 4. He took the remarks as a slur on his reputation.
- 5. The drug made her speak with a slur.
[ slur 造句 ]