- vi. 抓住；格斗；抓斗机
- vt. 抓住；与…格斗
- n. 抓住；格斗
1. grab => grapple.
3. grab => grasp(metathesis of *graps-), grapple.
4. grasp <===> grapple.
5. grape => grapple.
6. grape: The original notion perhaps was "vine hook for grape-picking".
词源同grab, grasp. 由抓住引申义扭打，搏斗。
- grapple (n.)
- "iron hook for fastening one thing to another," late 13c., from Old French grapil "hook" (see grapnel).
- grapple (v.)
- 1520s, "seize and hold fast," originally in reference to a ship, by means of a grapple, from grapple (n.). Extended sense of "battle, struggle in close contact" (usually with with) is from 1580s of persons, 1630s of immaterial things. Related: Grappled; grappling. Grappling hook is from 1620s.
- 1. Managers have learned to grapple with networking, artificial intelligence, computer-aided engineering and manufacturing.
- 2. Many investigators had grapple with the problem, usually with poor results.
- 许多研究人员曾设法解决这个问题, 但是往往没有好结果.
- 3. He no longer wishes to grapple furiously with his universe.
- 4. It is with these problems that Europe now has to grapple.
- 5. I seen him grapple four, and knock their heads together - him unarmed.'
- 我曾见他赤手空拳地以一对四, 揪住对手的脑袋相互碰撞.”
来自英汉文学 - 金银岛
[ grapple 造句 ]