CET4 TEM4 考 研 TOEFL CET6
re-,向后，往回，-spond,承诺，答复，词源同 spouse,correspond.-s,过去分词格，引申词义责 任。
- responsible (adj.)
- 1590s, "answerable" (to another, for something), from obsolete French responsible (13c., Modern French responsable, as if from Latin *responsabilis), from Latin respons-, past participle stem of respondere "to respond" (see respond). Meaning "accountable for one's actions" is attested from 1640s; that of "reliable, trustworthy" is from 1690s. Retains the sense of "obligation" in the Latin root word. Related: Responsibly.
- 1. We would have thought he would have a more responsible attitude.
- 2. I feel partly responsible for the problems we're in.
- 3. He is too impulsive to be a responsible prime minister.
- 4. Ludlam was responsible for making Ridiculous Theatre something of a cult.
- 5. His critics maintain that he's responsible for many of Algeria's ills.
[ responsible 造句 ]