- vt. 提取；取出；摘录；榨取
- n. 汁；摘录；榨出物；选粹
CET6 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL
1、ex- "out" + tract-.
ex-, 向外。-tract, 拉，词源同drag, contract. 即抽出来的一块，摘录。
- extract (v.)
- late 15c., from Latin extractus, past participle of extrahere "draw out," from ex- "out" (see ex-) + trahere "to draw" (see tract (n.1)). Related: Extracted; extracting.
- extract (n.)
- mid-15c., "digest or summary of something which has been written at greater length," from Late Latin extractum, noun use of neuter of extractus, past participle of extrahere "to draw out" (see extract (v.)). Physical sense of "that which is extracted," especially "something drawn from a substance by distillation or other chemical process" is from 1580s.
- 1. A dentist may decide to extract the tooth to prevent recurrent trouble.
- 2. This type of surgery could even be used to extract cancerous growths.
- 3. Blend in the lemon extract, lemon peel and walnuts.
- 4. They were performing a short extract from Shakespeare'sTwo Gentlemen of Verona.
- 5. The following extract is taken from her new novel.
[ extract 造句 ]