- vt. 冷落；严厉斥责；掐灭
- n. 冷落；斥责；突然的停止
- adj. 制动用的；短扁上翘的
1. snip => snub.
可能来自辅音丛 sn-,鼻子，闻，嗅，发鼻音，比较 sneer,snore,snicker,sniff,snuff.用于指短平 而上翘的的鼻子，引申动词词义冷落，怠慢等。
- snub (v.)
- mid-14c., "to check, reprove, rebuke," from Old Norse snubba "to curse, chide, snub, scold, reprove." The ground sense is perhaps "to cut off," and the word probably is related to snip. Compare Swedish snobba "lop off, snuff (a candle)," Old Norse snubbotr "snubbed, nipped, with the tip cut off." Meaning "treat coldly" appeared early 18c. Related: Snubbed; snubbing.
- snub (adj.)
- "short and turned up," 1725, in snub-nosed, from snub (v.). The connecting notion is of being "cut short."
- snub (n.)
- "rebuke, intentional slight," 1530s, from snub (v.).
- 1. Ryan took it as a snub.
- 2. He took the opportunity to deliver us another snub.
- 3. The German move was widely seen as a deliberate snub to Mr Cook.
- 4. His cancellation of the concert was seen as a deliberate snub to the organizers.
- 5. He nested his snub face on the sheets beside her and they cried together.
[ snub 造句 ]