来自美国参议员Joseph McCarthy,美国上世纪50年代反共思想的代表人物，因此，别人就根据他的名字杜撰出该词。该姓氏字面意思为Son of Carthy.
- 1950, with -ism + name of U.S. Sen. Joseph R. McCarthy (1908-1957), leader of U.S. anti-Communist agitation. The term is said to have been coined by "Washington Post" political cartoonist Herbert Block ("Herblock"). The surname is from Irish Mac Carthaigh "son of Carthach" (Welsh Caradawc), an ancient Celtic name, also known in its Latinized form, Caractacus (last of the British leaders to resist Rome, captured 51 C.E.)
- 1. At that time, however, McCarthyism prevailed in the United States.
- 但当时, 美国麦卡锡主义盛行.
- 2. Schrecker, Ellen . No Ivory Tower: McCarthyism and the Universities . 1986.
- 《没有象牙塔: 麦卡锡主义和大学》1986.
- 3. Many are the Crimes: McCarthyism in America . 1998.
- 《许多是罪犯: 美国麦卡锡主义》1998.
- 4. I blamed him and his generation for everything from McCarthyism to the Vietnam War to Watergate.
[ McCarthyism 造句 ]