- n. 杏，杏子；[园艺] 杏树；杏黄色
- adj. 杏黄色的
2. 词根词缀：a- "the" (阿拉伯语定冠词“al”的变体，相当于英语中的定冠词“the”) + pri- "before" (前缀“pre-”的元音变体) + cot- "ripe" (词根“coc-”的变体)。所以，其字面意思就是：the early-ripening (fruit)，即：早熟的水果。
来自拉丁短语malum precoquum, 早熟的水果。-cot, cook的过去分词，表示熟。apricot 杏，杏子
词根词缀：a- "the" (阿拉伯语定冠词“al”的变体，相当于英语中的定冠词“the”) + pri- "before" (前缀“pre-”的元音变体) + cot- "ripe" (词根“coc-”的变体)。所以，其字面意思就是：the early-ripening (fruit)，即：早熟的水果。
- apricot:  The word apricot reached English by a peculiarly circuitous route from Latin. The original term used by the Romans for the apricot, a fruit which came ultimately from China, was prūnum Arminiacum or mālum Arminiacum ‘Armenian plum or apple’ (Armenia was an early source of choice apricots). But a new term gradually replaced these: mālum praecocum ‘early-ripening apple’ (praecocus was a variant of praecox, from which English gets precocious). Praecocum was borrowed by a succession of languages, making its way via Byzantine Greek beríkokkon and Arabic al birqūq ‘the apricot’ to Spanish albaricoque and Portuguese albricoque.
This was the source of the English word, but its earliest form, abrecock, shows that it had already acquired the initial abrof French abricot, and the final -t followed almost immediately. Spellings with p instead of b are also found in the 16th century.
- apricot (n.)
- 1550s, abrecock, from Catalan abercoc, related to Portuguese albricoque, from Arabic al-birquq, through Byzantine Greek berikokkia from Latin (malum) praecoquum "early-ripening (fruit)" (see precocious). Form assimilated to French abricot.
Latin praecoquis early-ripe, can probably be attributed to the fact that the fruit was considered a variety of peach that ripened sooner than other peaches .... [Barnhart]
The older Latin name for it was prunum Armeniacum or malum Armeniacum, in reference to supposed origin in Armenia. As a color name, first attested 1906.
- 1. The illustration shows a cluster of five roses coloured apricot orange.
- 2. The bridesmaids wore apricot and white organza.
- 3. The heavy curtains were a warm apricot.
- 4. With so much spring in the garden , how can it be contained ? A spray of red apricot blossom has already reached over the wall.
- 满园春色关不住, 一枝红杏出墙来.
- 5. Economic crops include flax, canola, yellow, apricot, apple and so on.
- 经济作物有胡麻 、 油菜 、 黄花 、 杏 、 苹果等.
[ apricot 造句 ]