- n. 边，边缘；摺边
- vt. 包围；给...缝边
- vi. 做褶边
- n. (Hem)人名；(柬)韩(用于名字第一节)， 亨；(泰)亨；(尼、印)赫姆
CET6+ TEM4 GRE TOEFL
1. h- (谐音“合”----缝合) + e (谐音“衣”) + -m (margin) => 缝合衣服的边缘、褶边。
2. hemline => hem.
4. he + margin => hem: 他衣服的边缘、褶边。
5. he + e + margin => hem.
6. he + e + -m (谐音“末”) => hem: 他衣服的末边、边缘.
- hem: [OE] If, as seems likely, hem is related to Old Frisian hemme ‘enclosed piece of land’, its underlying meaning would be ‘edge, border’. However, a link has also been suggested with Armenian kamel ‘press’.
- hem (n.)
- Old English hem "a border," especially of cloth or a garment, from Proto-Germanic *hamjam (cognates: Old Norse hemja "to bridle, curb," Swedish hämma "to stop, restrain," Old Frisian hemma "to hinder," Middle Dutch, German hemmen "to hem in, stop, hinder"), from PIE *kem- "to compress." Apparently the same root yielded Old English hamm, common in place names (where it means "enclosure, land hemmed in by water or high ground, land in a river bend"). In Middle English, hem also was a symbol of pride or ostentation.
If þei wer þe first þat schuld puplysch þese grete myracles of her mayster, men myth sey of hem, as Crist ded of þe Pharisees, þat þei magnified her owne hemmys. [John Capgrave, "Life of Saint Gilbert of Sempringham," 1451]
- hem (interj.)
- late 15c., probably imitative of the sound of clearing the throat. Hem and haw first recorded 1786, from haw "hesitation" (1630s; see haw (v.)); hem and hawk attested from 1570s.
- hem (v.)
- late 14c., "to provide (something) with a border or fringe" (surname Hemmer attested from c. 1300), from hem (n.). Related: Hemmed; hemming. The phrase hem in "shut in, confine," first recorded 1530s.
- 1. Turn under and hem the outer edges.
- 2. The hem on her skirt needs sewing.
- 3. In this paper , the working mechanisms and features of HEM were summarized.
- 4. HEM is built up with projects history data by statistic regression analysis and the least squares.
- 5. Objective To explore the use and advantages of the Hem - o - lok ligating clip in laparoscopic cholecystectomy ( LC ).
- 目的探讨使用 Hem -o-Lok结扎 夹行腹腔镜胆囊切除术 ( laparoscopiccholecystectomy,LC ) 的方法及优势.
[ hem 造句 ]