CET6 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL
1. censor => census.
2. cens- + us 对我们大家都进行审查就是人口普查。
来自PIE*kens, 庄严的宣布，通知，评估，检查。最早来自古罗马氏族社会时期依据个人的财产，地位，收入等进行公民社会等级划分，第一任审查官为公元前6世纪古罗马带有传奇色彩的伟大首领Servius Tullius。更多参照class词源。
- census: see excise
- census (n.)
- 1610s, from Latin census "the enrollment of the names and property assessments of all Roman citizens," originally past participle of censere "to assess" (see censor (n.)). The modern census begins in the U.S., 1790., and Revolutionary France. Property for taxation was the primary purpose in Rome, hence Latin census also was used for "one's wealth, one's worth, wealthiness."
- 1. Of these, 40% told census-takers they were Muslims.
- 2. A census of population is taken every ten years.
- 3. A new pet census showed that cats now outnumber dogs by a whisker (7 million to 6.9 million).
- 4. One authority made a census of the spiders in a grass field in the south of England, and he estimated that there were more than 2,250,000 in one acre.
- 一位权威对英国南方一块草坪上的蜘蛛作过统计, 他估计每英亩有2,250,000多只蜘蛛.
- 5. The census is taken one time every four years in our country.
[ census 造句 ]