- latrine: see lavatory
- latrine (n.)
- c. 1300, probably from Latin latrina, contraction of lavatrina "washbasin, washroom," from lavatus, past participle of lavare "to wash" (see lave) + -trina, suffix denoting "workplace." Its reappearance in 1640s is probably a re-borrowing from French; especially of a privy of a camp, barracks, college, hospital, etc. Latrine rumor "baseless gossip" (of the kind that spreads in conversations in latrines) is military slang, first recorded 1918.
- 1. There were no proper toilets, but only an outdoor latrine.
- 2. Still, it has no running water and one outdoor latrine.
- 但是, 还没有自来水和屋外的场院.
- 3. Objective To evaluate sanitary effects on attic type composting latrine.
- 4. When I was traveling in Kenya last time, a friend of mine a latrine like that.
- 上次在肯尼亚履行, 我的一位朋友要上厕所.
- 5. The shelters with latrine facilities will improve the overall living conditions for vulnerable families.
[ latrine 造句 ]