1. slaw is shortened from salad.
2. salad => Dutch sla, short for salad => slaw.
3. cole (Vulgar Latin: cabbage) + slaw => coleslaw.
4. coleslaw => variant: coldslaw.
cole, 白菜，词源同cauliflower, kale. -slaw, 沙拉，词源同salt, salad.
- coleslaw:  Cole is an ancient and now little used English word for plants of the cabbage family, such as cabbage or rape (it comes ultimately from Latin caulis ‘cabbage’, whose underlying meaning was ‘hollow stem’ – see CAULIFLOWER). It was used in the partial translation of Dutch koolsla when that word was borrowed into English in the late 18th century. Kool, Dutch for ‘cabbage’, became cole, but sla presented more of a problem (it represents a phonetically reduced form of salade ‘salad’), and it was rendered variously as -slaugh (now defunct) and -slaw. (Interestingly enough, the earliest record of the word we have, from America in the 1790s – it was presumably borrowed from Dutch settlers – is in the form cold slaw, indicating that even then in some quarters English cole was not a sufficiently familiar word to be used for Dutch kool. Coldslaw is still heard, nowadays as a folketymological alteration of coleslaw.)
=> cauliflower, cole, salad
- coleslaw (n.)
- also cole-slaw, cole slaw, 1794, American English, partial translation of Dutch koolsla, from kool "cabbage" (see cole) + sla "salad" (see slaw). Commonly cold slaw in English until 1860s, when Middle English cole "cabbage" was revived.
- 1. A Couple of drumsticks and one coleslaw, please.
- 2. There's tuna fish for sandwiches and you'll find coleslaw in the fridge.
- 3. When you make coleslaw or potato salad, use light or non - fat mayonnaise.
- 当你做凉拌卷心菜或者土豆沙拉, 用低或者无脂的蛋黄酱.
- 4. All right. I'll have the fried chicken and coleslaw.
- 好吧. 我要吃炸鸡和生菜沙拉.
- 5. AMY: Fried chicken, coleslaw, carrots, celery, rolls, wine.
- 艾米: 炸鸡, 凉拌卷心菜, 胡萝卜, 芹菜, 面包圈, 葡萄酒.
[ coleslaw 造句 ]