CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 CET6
canteen 餐厅 发音也是餐厅
来自词根cant, 弯，转，角落，词源同decant, canton. 原指角落小商店。
- canteen: see cant
- canteen (n.)
- c. 1710, "store in a military camp," from French cantine "sutler's shop" (17c.), from Italian cantina "wine cellar, vault," which is perhaps another of the many meanings that were attached to Latin canto "corner;" in this case, perhaps "corner for storage." A Gaulish origin also has been proposed. Extended to "refreshment room at a military base, school, etc." from 1870. Meaning "small tin for water or liquor, carried by soldiers on the march, campers, etc." is from 1744, from a sense in French.
- 1. Rennie had eaten his tea in the canteen.
- 2. After work they made a hearty meal in the worker's canteen.
- 3. This is a much frequented canteen.
- 4. The canteen was decked out with Christmas decorations.
- 5. The survey found a wide variation in the prices charged for canteen food.
[ canteen 造句 ]