- n. 船尾；末端
- adj. 严厉的；坚定的
- n. (Stern)人名；(英、以、法、瑞典、西)斯特恩；(德、波、匈)施特恩
CET6 TEM4 CET4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL
1. *ster- / *star- "stiff, rigid" => stare.
2. => look fixedly at, look at sb / sth stiffly or rigidly.
3. *ster- / *star- "stiff, rigid" => stern.
4. => severe, strict.
5. steer => stern.
6. => stern 'rear of a vessel, hind part of a ship' is etymologically "steering gear of a ship, the steering gear end of a ship".
来自古英语 styrne,严厉的，严苛的，来自 Proto-Germanic*sternijaz,硬的，强硬的，来自 PIE*ster, 固定的，坚固的，僵硬的，词源同 sterile,stark.stern 船尾
- stern: English has two distinct words stern. The older, the adjective ‘severe’ [OE], comes from a prehistoric Germanic *sternjaz, which was probably derived from the base *ster-, *star- ‘be rigid’ (source also of English starch, stare, starve, etc). Stern ‘rear of a vessel’  is etymologically the ‘steering’ end of a ship. The word was probably borrowed from Old Norse stjórn ‘steering’, a derivative of the same base as produced stýra ‘steer’ (source of English steer).
=> starch, stare, starve, stereo, stork; steer
- stern (adj.)
- Old English styrne "severe, strict, grave, hard, cruel," from Proto-Germanic *sternijaz (cognates: Middle High German sterre, German starr "stiff," störrig "obstinate;" Gothic andstaurran "to be stiff;" Old Norse stara; Old English starian "to look or gaze upon"), from PIE root *ster- (1) "rigid, stiff" (see stereo-). Related: Sternly; sternness.
- stern (n.)
- early 13c., "hind part of a ship; steering gear of a ship," probably from a Scandinavian source, such as Old Norse stjorn "a steering," related to or derived from styra "to guide" (see steer (v.)). Or the word may come from Old Frisian stiarne "rudder," which also is related to steer (v.). Stern-wheeler as a type of steam-boat is from 1855, American English.
- 1. He was a stern critic but an extremely kindly man.
- 2. The tug crossed our stern not fifty yards away.
- 3. We remember our mother's stern instructions not to boast.
- 4. Mr Straw issued a stern warning to those who persist in violence.
- 5. In showing contempt for the heavyweight championship Douglas offended a stern code.
[ stern 造句 ]