1. gall => chole- "gall" + ster- "solid, stiff" + -ol.
2. ster- => 固醇、固醇正好意译、证明了它是固体，由此也很好、一目了然地显现了该词根的本义。
3. melancholy =》 cholesterol.
chol, 胆囊，同gall。-ster, 固化，见sterile. -ol, 化学名词后缀，醇，见xylitol.
- cholesterol (n.)
- white, solid substance present in body tissues, 1894, earlier cholesterin, from French cholestrine (Chevreul, 1827), from Greek khole "bile" (see cholera) + steros "solid, stiff" (see sterility). So called because originally found in gallstones (Conradi, 1775). The name was changed to the modern form (with chemical suffix -ol, denoting an alcohol) after the compound was discovered to be a secondary alcohol.
- 1. Many other medications have an influence on cholesterol levels.
- 2. Oxidized cholesterol may be responsible for furring up the arteries.
- 3. See just how much fat and cholesterol you're eating.
- 4. This drug lowers cholesterol levels by binding fats in the intestine.
- 5. Scientists have established a connection between cholesterol levels and heart disease.
[ cholesterol 造句 ]