- vt. 否定，否认；拒绝给予；拒绝…的要求
- vi. 否认；拒绝
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
de-, 向下，离开。-ny, 同-neg, 否认，词源同no, negate. 即否认。拼写比较defy.
- deny: see renegade
- deny (v.)
- early 14c., from Old French denoiir "deny, repudiate, withhold," from Latin denegare "to deny, reject, refuse" (source of Italian dinegarre, Spanish denegar), from de- "away" (see de-) + negare "refuse, say 'no,' " from Old Latin nec "not," from Italic base *nek- "not," from PIE root *ne- "no, not" (see un-). Related: Denied; denying.
- 1. They appeared at court yesterday to deny charges of murder.
- 2. I would not want to deny them a harmless pleasure.
- 3. Who can deny his stature as the world's greatest cellist?
- 4. He tried to deny it. Shame on him!
- 5. They totally and categorically deny the charges.
[ deny 造句 ]