- vt. 保留，不给；隐瞒；抑制
- vi. 忍住；克制
CET6 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研
- withhold (v.)
- c. 1200, from with- "back, away" (see with) + holden "to hold" (see hold (v.)); probably a loan-translation of Latin retinere "to withhold." Related: Withheld; withholding. Past participle form withholden was still used 19c.
- 1. The captain decided to withhold the terrible news even from his officers.
- 2. You have the right to withhold your custom if you so wish.
- 3. It's never wise to withhold evidence.
- 4. It was unscrupulous of their lawyer to withhold evidence.
- 5. Fear made him withhold the truth.
[ withhold 造句 ]