- vt. 猛砍；鞭打；严厉批评；大幅度裁减或削减
- vi. 猛砍；严厉批评
- n. 削减；斜线；猛砍；砍痕；沼泽低地
CET6 TEM8 TOEFL
1. backslash => slash.
来自辅音丛 sl-,砍，劈，分开，比较 slab,slip,slat,slit,slot.引申比喻义削减。
- slash (v.)
- 1540s, "to cut with a stroke of a blade or whip;" 1650s, "to strike violently," perhaps from Middle French esclachier "to break," variant of esclater "to break, splinter" (see slat). Meaning "to clear land" (of trees) is from 1821, American English. In reference to prices, it is attested from 1906. Related: Slashed; slashing. Slash-and-burn for a method of clearing forest for cultivation is from 1919.
- slash (n.)
- "a cutting stroke with a weapon," 1570s, from slash (v.); sense of "slit in a garment" is from 1610s; that of "open tract in a forest" is first attested 1825, American English. As a punctuation mark in writing or printing, it is recorded from 1961.
- 1. Traditional slash and burn farming methods have exhausted the soil.
- 2. The band then signed to Slash Records.
- 3. The shop plans to slash fur prices after Spring Festival.
- 4. Don't slash your horse in that cruel way.
- 5. Compare cut , saw , chop , hack, slash and tear.
- 试比较cut、 saw 、 chop 、 hack、slash 、 tear这几个词.
[ slash 造句 ]