英 ['jestəjɪə; -jɜː]
- yesteryear (n.)
- coined 1870 by Dante Gabriel Rossetti from yester- + year to translate French antan (from Vulgar Latin *anteannum "the year before") in a refrain by François Villon: Mais ou sont les neiges d'antan? which Rossetti rendered "But where are the snows of yesteryear?"
- 1. The modern-day sex symbol has now taken the place of the old-fashioned hero of yesteryear.
- 2. Certainly, last night's gala was a reminder of bull markets of yesteryear.
- 的确, 昨夜的庆祝让我们想起了前些年的牛市.
- 3. The most surprising event of Olympic yesteryear , however , is Tug of War.
- 如果说最令人惊奇的前奥运项目, 莫过于拔河.
- 4. He often mentioned the golden scandals of yesteryear.
- 5. Modern western square dancing is a far cry from the old time barn dances of yesteryear.
[ yesteryear 造句 ]