- n. 一千；一千个；许许多多
- adj. 成千的；无数的
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
来自古英语thusend,千，来自Proto-Germanic*thusundi,千，词首*thu 可能来自PIE*teue,膨胀， 鼓起，词源同thigh,thumb,-sundi,来自Proto-Germanic*hundam,百，词源同hundred.该词字面 意思为好几百，后在翻译拉丁语mille(千，词源同million）的过程中逐渐确定为固定数词。
- thousand: [OE] Thousand is a compound noun of some antiquity, which seems to mean etymologically ‘several hundreds’. Its first element probably comes from a base denoting ‘increase’ or ‘multiplicity’, which also produced Latin tumēre ‘swell’ (source of English tumour) and Sanskrit tuvi ‘much’; its second element is the same as the first element of English hundred. The combination resulted in a prehistoric Germanic *thusundi, which evolved into German tausend, Dutch duizend, Swedish tusen, Danish tusind, and English thousand. It is shared by the Slavic languages – Russian, for instance, has tysjacha.
=> hundred, thigh, thumb, tumour
- thousand (adj.)
- Old English þusend, from Proto-Germanic *thusundi (cognates: Old Frisian thusend, Dutch duizend, Old High German dusunt, German tausend, Old Norse þusund, Gothic þusundi).
Related to words in Balto-Slavic (Lithuanian tukstantis, Old Church Slavonic tysashta, Polish tysiąc, Russian tysiacha, Czech tisic), and probably ultimately a compound with indefinite meaning "great multitude, several hundred," literally "swollen-hundred," with first element from PIE root *teue- (2) "to swell" (see thigh).
Used to translate Greek khilias, Latin mille, hence the refinement into the precise modern meaning. There was no general Indo-European word for "thousand." Slang shortening thou first recorded 1867. Thousand island dressing (1916) presumably is named for the region of New York on the St. Lawrence River.
- 1. English has hurt me a thousand times, but I still regard it as my first love.
- 2. A thousand supporters packed into the stadium to cheer them on.
- 3. The one thousand pound bomb was triggered by a wire.
- 4. "How much is he paying you?" — "Oh, five thousand." —"Not bad."
- 5. The cost of repairing earthquake damage could be more than seven-thousand-million dollars.
[ thousand 造句 ]