- vt. 弄清；解开；使纠缠
- vi. 散开；缠结
- n. 纠结；错综复杂的一团
- n. (Ravel)人名；(法)拉威尔
1. Unraveling the Mysteries of the Universe. => 揭开宇宙之谜。
2. How to Unravel a Sweater to Recycle Yarn. => 怎么把毛衣拆开并回收毛线。
3. Unravel Mysteries.
4. The seemingly contradictory senses of this word (ravel and unravel are both synonyms and antonyms) are reconciled by its roots in weaving and sewing: as threads become unwoven, they get tangled.
5. The prefix 'un-' is either reversive or intensive, according as ravel is taken to mean 'tangle' or 'untangle'.
来自荷兰语 ravelen,解开，缠绕，来自 rafel,碎毛线，碎线。词义的矛盾性可能是来自碎毛线 一松开就缠绕在一起。常见于复合词 unravel,解开。
- ravel (v.)
- 1580s, "to untangle, disentangle, unwind" (originally with out), also "to entangle, become tangled or confused," from Dutch ravelen "to tangle, fray," rafelen "to unweave," from rafel "frayed thread." The seemingly contradictory senses of this word (ravel and unravel are both synonyms and antonyms) are reconciled by its roots in weaving and sewing: as threads become unwoven, they get tangled.
- ravel (n.)
- 1630s, "a tangle;" 1832, "a broken thread," from ravel (v.).
- 1. The floor was littered with ravel ( l ) ings.
- 2. The difficulty will soon ravel out.
- 3. Our temporary difficulties will soon ravel out.
- 4. Don't let the cat ravel that ball of wool up.
- 5. Bind the edge of the rug so that it won't ravel.
[ ravel 造句 ]