- adj. 三倍的；三方的
- n. 三倍数；三个一组
- vi. 增至三倍
- vt. 使成三倍
CET6 TEM4 IELTS 考 研
tri-, 三，-ple,倍数，词源同 fold,treble.
- triple (v.)
- late 14c., from Medieval Latin triplare "to triple," from Latin triplus "threefold, triple," from tri- "three" (see tri-) + -plus "-fold" (see -plus). Related: Tripled; tripling.
- triple (adj.)
- early 15c., from Old French triple or directly from Latin triplus (see triple (adj.)). As a noun, early 15c., "a triple sum or quantity," from the adjective. The baseball sense of "a three-base hit" is attested from 1880. Related: Triply (adv.). Triple-decker is from 1940 of sandwiches and wedding cakes, 1942 of beds.
- 1. In 1882 Germany, Austria, and Italy formed the Triple Alliance.
- 2. The merger puts the firm in a position to triple its earnings.
- 3. The mine reportedly had an accident rate triple the national average.
- 4. The kitchen is triple the size it once was.
- 5. We're suffering a triple whammy at the moment.
[ triple 造句 ]