CET6 TEM8 IELTS 考 研
1、coca + -ine(chemical suffix).
coca, 南美经济作物。-ine, 化学后缀。
- cocaine:  Cocaine is made from the dried leaves of the coca bush, a plant native to the Andes, and its name was formed (perhaps originally in French, as cocaïne) from the plant’s name. That was a local name, Quechua koka, probably from the Aymara language of Bolivia and Peru, and it reached Europe in the 16th century by way of Spanish coca.
- cocaine (n.)
- 1874, from Modern Latin cocaine (1856), coined by Albert Niemann of Gottingen University from coca (from Quechua cuca) + chemical suffix -ine (2). A medical coinage, the drug was used 1870s as a local anaesthetic for eye surgery, etc. "It is interesting to note that although cocaine is pronounced as a disyllabic word it is trisyllabic in its formation." [Flood]
- 1. The police moved in, arrested him and impounded the cocaine.
- 2. He spent a number of years hooked on cocaine, heroin and alcohol.
- 3. She became a prostitute in order to pay for her cocaine habit.
- 4. The anti-drug sweep had netted nearly 900 kilogrammes of cocaine.
- 5. Many of the women are addicted to heroin and cocaine.
[ cocaine 造句 ]