- vt. 延迟；阻止；妨碍；使减速
- vi. 减慢；受到阻滞
- n. 延迟；阻止
TEM8 GRE CET6
1. tardy => retard.
2. Other words used for "one who is mentally retarded".
- retard (v.)
- late 15c., "make slow or slower," from French retarder "restrain, hold (someone) back, keep (someone from doing something); come to a stop" (13c.) or directly from Latin retardare "make slow, delay, keep back, hinder" (see retardation). Related: Retarded; retarding.
The noun is recorded from 1788 in the sense "retardation, delay;" from 1970 in offensive meaning "retarded person," originally American English, with accent on first syllable. Other words used for "one who is mentally retarded" include retardate (1956), retardee (1971).
- 1. Continuing violence will retard negotiations over the country's future.
- 2. What the hell do I want with an emotional retard?
- 3. Numerous and extensive eddy cavities retard the turbulent mixing process.
- 4. Writing may retard the process of language change under certain conditions.
- 5. All agencies that provoke change and all that retard it can be discribed as'good'or'bad'respectively.
- 一切促进变化和一切妨碍变化的力量都可以分别称为 “ 好”的或 “ 坏 ” 的.
[ retard 造句 ]