CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
前缀be-, 强调，在。half, 半，边。在另一边的，代表另一方利益的。
- behalf:  Behalf was compounded from the prefix be- ‘by’ and the noun half, in the sense ‘side’. The latter had been used in such phrases as on my half, that is, ‘on my side, for my part’, since late Old English times, and the new compound began to replace it in the 14th century. (That particular use of half had died out by the end of the 16th century.) The modern sense of ‘representing or in the interests of someone’ was present from the beginning.
- behalf (n.)
- c. 1300, behalve (with dative suffix), from Old English (him) be healfe "by (his) side," and on (his) healfe "on (his) side," from healfe "side" (see half).
- 1. "What do you mean?" I asked, offended on Liddie's behalf.
- 2. Secret Service officer Robin Thompson spoke on behalf of his colleagues.
- 3. Paratroopers and foot-soldiers entered the building on the government's behalf.
- 4. I thanked my parents for all their self-sacrifice on my behalf.
- 5. They asked my father to intercede with the king on their behalf.
[ behalf 造句 ]