- vt. 申请；涂，敷；应用
- vi. 申请；涂，敷；适用；请求
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
前缀ap-同ad-. 词根ply, 卷入，卷进，见imply.
- apply: see ply
- apply (v.)
- late 14c., "to put (one's faculties, etc.) to some task or career," late 14c., from Old French aploiier "apply, use, attach" (12c., Modern French appliquer), from Latin applicare "attach to, join, connect;" figuratively, "devote (oneself) to, give attention," from ad- "to" (see ad-) + plicare "fold" (see ply (v.1)). The etymological sense is "bring things in contact with one another." Of lotions, from early 15c. Meaning "seek a job by submitting an application for one" is from 1851. A by-form applicate is recorded from 1530s. Related: Applied; applying.
- 1. Investors can apply for a package of shares at a set price.
- 2. You will need to apply three coats of varnish.
- 3. The right thing would be to apply direct pressure to the wound.
- 4. Priority will be given to those who apply early.
- 5. Apply a dressing to the wound and bandage it.
[ apply 造句 ]