- n. 冠军；拥护者；战士
- vt. 支持；拥护
- adj. 优胜的；第一流的
- n. (Champion)人名；(英)钱皮恩；(法)尚皮翁
CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
- champion:  Etymologically, a champion is someone who fought in the campus or arena. Latin campus (source of English camp) meant, among other things, ‘field of battle’ – both a fullscale military battlefield and an area for staged battles between gladiators. Those who fought in such battles – the gladiators – were called in medieval Latin campiones.
The word passed into English via Old French champion. The word’s original meaning survives historically in such phrases as ‘king’s champion’, someone who will fight on behalf of the king, and by extension in ‘supporter’, as in ‘a champion of prisoners’ rights’. The modern sense ‘winner’ did not develop until the early 19th century. The abbreviated form champ is 19th-century American.
An alternative and now obsolete form of the word is campion, from Old Northern French, and it has been speculated that this is the origin of the plant-name campion , on the basis that it was used to make garlands for fighters.
=> camp, campion, champagne, champion
- champion (n.)
- early 13c., "doughty fighting man, valorous combatant," also (c. 1300) "one who fights on behalf of another or others," from Old French champion "combatant, champion in single combat" (12c.), from Late Latin campionem (nominative campio) "gladiator, fighter, combatant in the field," from Latin campus "field (of combat);" see campus. Had been borrowed earlier by Old English as cempa. Sports sense in reference to "first-place performer in some field" is recorded from 1730.
- champion (v.)
- "to fight for, defend, protect," 1820 (Scott) in a literal sense, from champion (n.). Figurative use by 1830. Earlier it meant "to challenge" (c. 1600). Related: Championed; championing.
- 1. The heavyweight champion will be given a shot at Holyfield's world title.
- 2. He was a champion for Latinos and blacks within the educational system.
- 3. Lewis is matched against the WBO's heavyweight champion, Tommy Morrison.
- 4. Comet also sired the champion foal out of Spinway Harvest.
- 5. Gary Kasparov has retained his title as world chess champion.
[ champion 造句 ]