- adv. 或许；（表示不确定）也许；（用于粗略的估计）或许；（表示勉强同意或其实不赞成）也许；可能
- n. 假定；猜想；未定之事
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
- perhaps:  The phrase by hap or by haps ‘by chance’ originated in the 14th century (hap ‘chance’, a borrowing from Old Norse, now survives in the derived happen). In the 16th century it was transformed into perhaps on the model of perchance  and the now obsolete percase , both borrowings from Anglo- Norman containing per ‘by’.
=> happen, happy
- perhaps (adv.)
- 1520s, formed from Middle English per, par "by, through" (see per-) + plural of hap "chance" (see happen), on model of peradventure, perchance, etc. which now have been superseded by this word. Perhappons "possibly, by chance" is recorded from late 15c.
- 1. The horrors he experienced are imprinted, perhaps indelibly, in his brain.
- 2. He was not perhaps physically the strongest in the class.
- 3. Perhaps he'd followed her suggestion of a stroll to the river.
- 4. Perhaps you would like to pay a visit to London.
- 5. Andy's face paled with disappointment; perhaps with anger as well.
[ perhaps 造句 ]