TEM8 IELTS GRE
1. in- "not, opposite of, without" + demn- "damage" + -ity.
2. => unhurt, undamaged, security for damage.
- indemnity: see damage
- indemnity (n.)
- mid-15c., from Middle French indemnité (14c.), from Late Latin indemnitatem (nominative indemnitas) "security for damage," from Latin indemnis "unhurt, undamaged," from in- "not, opposite of, without" (see in- (1)) + damnum "damage" (see damn).
- 1. They were charged with failing to have professional indemnity cover.
- 2. They paid an indemnity to the victim after the accident.
- 3. Under this treaty, they were to pay an indemnity for five million dollars.
- 根据这项条约, 他们应赔款500万美元.
- 4. Political exiles had not been given indemnity from prosecution.
- 5. The government paid the family an indemnity for the missing pictures.
[ indemnity 造句 ]