- vt. 剽窃；偷偷地做；偷窃
- vi. 窃取；偷偷地行动；偷垒
- n. 偷窃；便宜货；偷垒；断球
CET4 TEM4 考 研 CET6
来自古英语 stelan,偷，盗窃，来自 Proto-Germanic*stelan,偷，来自 PIE*stel,偷，抢，词源同 stalk.
- steal: [OE] Steal comes from a prehistoric Germanic base *stel-. This also produced German stehlen, Dutch stelen, Swedish stjäla, and Danish stjæle, but its ultimate ancestry is unknown. The derived stealth  originally meant ‘theft’ (‘I know my lord hath spent of Timon’s wealth, and now ingratitude makes it worse than stealth’, Shakespeare, Timon of Athens 1607), but this has gradually been ousted by the metaphorical ‘furtiveness’. Stalk ‘follow furtively’ comes from the same Germanic base.
=> stalk, stealth
- steal (v.)
- Old English stelan "to commit a theft, to take and carry off clandestinely and without right or leave" (class IV strong verb; past tense stæl, past participle stolen), from Proto-Germanic *stelan (cognates: Old Saxon stelan, Old Norse, Old Frisian stela "to steal, to rob one of," Dutch stelen, Old High German stelan, German stehlen, Gothic stilan "to steal"), from PIE *stel-, possibly a variant of *ster- (3) "to rob, steal."
"The notion of secrecy ... seems to be part of the original meaning of the vb." [OED]. Intransitive meaning "to depart or withdraw stealthily and secretly" is from late Old English. Most IE words for steal have roots in notions of "hide," "carry off," or "collect, heap up." Attested as a verb of stealthy motion from c. 1300 (as in to steal away, late 14c.); of kisses from late 14c.; of glances, sighs, etc., from 1580s. The various sports senses begin 1836. To steal (someone) blind first recorded 1974.
- steal (n.)
- 1825, "act or case of theft," from steal (v.). Meaning "a bargain" is attested by 1942, American English colloquial. Baseball sense of "a stolen base" is from 1867.
- 1. They can steal away at night and join us.
- 2. People who are drug addicts come in and steal.
- 3. During the riots hundreds of people seized the opportunity to steal property.
- 4. He tried to strangle a border policeman and steal his gun.
- 5. The eighth commandment is "Thou shalt not steal".
[ steal 造句 ]