- adj. 国内的；家庭的；驯养的；一心只管家务的
- n. 国货；佣人
CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
来自拉丁语domus, 家，词源同domain. 即家里面的，本国的。
- domestic:  Domestic comes, via French domestique, from Latin domesticus, a derivative of domus ‘house’. This can be traced back to an Indo-European *domo-, *domu-, which was also the source of Greek dómos and Sanskrit dama- ‘house’, and goes back in its turn to a base *dem-, *dom- ‘build’ which gave rise to English daunt, tame, timber, and probably despot. A further derivative of domus is domicile , from Latin domicilium ‘dwelling-place’, and it is also the ultimate source of the wide range of English words (dominate, dominion, etc) based immediately on Latin dominus ‘master’.
=> dame, daunt, dome, dominion, tame, timber
- domestic (adj.)
- early 15c., from Middle French domestique (14c.) and directly from Latin domesticus "belonging to the household," from domus "house," from PIE *dom-o- "house," from root *dem- "house, household" (cognates: Sanskrit damah "house;" Avestan demana- "house;" Greek domos "house," despotes "master, lord;" Latin dominus "master of a household;" Old Church Slavonic domu, Russian dom "house;" Lithuanian dimstis "enclosed court, property;" Old Norse topt "homestead").
It represents the usual Indo-European word for "house" (Italian, Spanish casa are from Latin casa "cottage, hut;" Germanic *hus is of obscure origin). The noun meaning "household servant" is 1530s (a sense also found in Old French domestique). Domestics, originally "articles of home manufacture," is attested from 1620s. Related: Domestically. Domestic violence is attested from 19c. as "revolution and insurrection;" 1977 as "spouse abuse, violence in the home."
- 1. And what of the effect on U.S domestic opinion?
- 2. A special dispensation may be obtained from the domestic union concerned.
- 3. As the domestic market becomes saturated, firms begin to export the product.
- 4. The house is a textbook example of medieval domestic architecture.
- 5. Because of the slump in domestic demand, production has stopped.
[ domestic 造句 ]