CET4 TEM4 IELTS 考 研 TOEFL CET6
来自 through 拼写变体或表强调，引申词义彻底的，完全的等。
- thorough: [OE] Thorough is ultimately the same word as through. Both go back to Old English thurh ‘through’. In its single-syllable form it has stuck to its original role as a preposition and adverb, but in the case of thorough this has now virtually died out, leaving only the adjective, which evolved in the 13th century from the notion of going ‘through’ something so as to affect every part.
=> thrill, through
- thorough (adj.)
- c. 1300, adjectival use of Old English þuruh (adv.) "from end to end, from side to side," stressed variant of þurh (adv., prep.); see through. Related: thoroughly; thoroughness.
- 1. The degree provides a thorough grounding in both mathematics and statistics.
- 2. A thorough brushing helps to freshen up your mouth.
- 3. He uncoiled the hose and gave them a thorough drenching.
- 4. Despite a thorough investigation, no trace of Dr Southwell has been found.
- 5. The prospects are that he will give opponents a thorough pounding.
[ thorough 造句 ]