CET6 TEM4 CET4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL
re-,向后，往回，-fut,击，打，词源同 rebut,beat.引申词义反驳，驳斥。字母 b,f 音变。
- refute: see beat
- refute (v.)
- 1510s, "refuse, reject," from Middle French réfuter (16c.) and directly from Latin refutare "drive back; rebut, disprove; repress, repel, resist, oppose," from re- "back" (see re-) + -futare "to beat," probably from PIE root *bhau- "to strike down" (see bat (n.1)).
Meaning "prove wrong" dates from 1540s. Since c. 1964 linguists have frowned on the subtle shift in meaning towards "to deny," as it is used in connection with allegation. Related: Refuted; refuting.
- 1. Isabelle is quick to refute any suggestion of intellectual snobbery.
- 2. It goes without saying that we have the right to refute them publicly.
- 3. The meeting was very lively and informal with everyone chipping to supplement or refute what the speakers said.
- 4. It was the kind of rumour that it is impossible to refute.
- 5. Any attempt to defend wilderness preservation must confront and attempt to refute this position.
来自英汉非文学 - 环境法 - 环境法
[ refute 造句 ]