CET6+ TEM4 GRE 考 研 TOEFL
- plumber (n.)
- late 14c. (from c. 1100 as a surname), "a worker in any sort of lead" (roofs, gutters, pipes), from Old French plomier "lead-smelter" (Modern French plombier) and directly from Latin plumbarius "worker in lead," noun use of adjective meaning "pertaining to lead," from plumbum "lead" (see plumb (n.)). Meaning focused 19c. on "workman who installs pipes and fittings" as lead water pipes became the principal concern of the trade. In U.S. Nixon administration (1969-74), the name of a special unit for investigation of "leaks" of government secrets.
- 1. When the pipe leaked, we sent for a plumber.
- 煤气或水管漏了的时候, 我们就派人去找一位管子工.
- 2. A plumber's coming in to look at the boiler.
- 3. The plumber's helper passes him tools.
- 4. He must be a good plumber, or else he wouldn't be so busy.
- 5. Have you asked the plumber to come and look at the leaking pipe?
- 你叫管道工来检查漏水的管子了 吗 ?
[ plumber 造句 ]