- n. 坚质条纹棉布或亚麻布；（指钟表发出的）滴答响声
来自古词 tyke,被套，枕套，来自拉丁语 theca,箱子，盒子，套子，来自希腊语 theke,箱子， 盒子，套子，来自 PIE*dhe,做，放置，词源同 do,thesis,apothecary.-ing,集合名词后缀。
- ticking (n.)
- "cloth covering (usually of strong cotton or linen) for mattresses or pillows," 1640s, from tyke (modern tick) with the same meaning (mid-14c.), probably from Middle Dutch tike, from a West Germanic borrowing of Latin theca "case," from Greek theke "a case, box, cover, sheath" (see theco-).
- 1. It keeps you ticking over, stops you being complacent.
- 2. Very slowly he moved forward, the engine ticking over.
- 3. I just think it's rude and it's ticking me off.
- 4. The market is at least ticking over.
- 5. They got a ticking off from the police.
[ ticking 造句 ]