前缀be-, 强调。hold, 维持，持有。-en, 使。使长期维持的，感激的。
- beholden (adj.)
- "under obligation," mid-14c., originally past participle of behold (and preserving the original past participle of hold), but a sense directly related to this usage is not recorded among the many and varied meanings attested for behold.
- 1. He was made beholden to the Mafia.
- 2. She didn't like to be beholden to anyone.
- 3. I am greatly beholden to you for your kindness.
- 4. We feel really beholden to them for what they've done.
- 5. We are much beholden to you for your help.
[ beholden 造句 ]