- vi. 对比；形成对照
- vt. 使对比；使与…对照
- n. 对比；差别；对照物
CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
contra-, 相对，相反。-st, 站，词源同stand. 即相对而站进行比较。
- contrast: see statue
- contrast (v.)
- 1690s, from French contraster (Old French contrester), modified by or from Italian contrastare "stand out against, strive, contend," from Vulgar Latin *contrastare "to withstand," from Latin contra "against" (see contra) + stare "to stand," from PIE root *sta- "to stand" (see stet).
Middle English had contrest "to fight against, to withstand," which became extinct. Modern word re-introduced as an art term. Related: Contrasted; contrasting; contrastive.
- contrast (n.)
- 1711, from contrast (v.).
- 1. The boy's room is a complete contrast to the guest room.
- 2. The private sector, by contrast, has plenty of money to spend.
- 3. Hungary, by contrast, reacted calmly to events in Yugoslavia.
- 4. In contrast with its surface fleet, Britain's submarine force was relatively small.
- 5. By contrast, the comparable figure for the Netherlands is 16 per cent.
[ contrast 造句 ]