- vt. 弄皱；触怒；扰乱；迅速翻动
- vi. 起皱；烦恼；连续地轻敲
- n. 皱褶；生气；混乱；连续轻敲声
CET6+ TEM8 IELTS GRE
2. rough => ruf- / ruff- + -le => ruffle (frequentative word).
词源不详，可能来自 rough 的发音拼写讹误。来自 rough 的词源义，击，打，弄皱，词源同 corrugate,rug.引申词义褶饰，花边等。
- ruffle (v.)
- early 14c., "to disturb the smoothness of," perhaps from Old Norse hrufla "to scratch," or Low German ruffelen "to wrinkle, curl," both of unknown origin. Meaning "disarrange" (hair or feathers) first recorded late 15c.; sense of "annoy, distract" is from 1650s. Related: Ruffled; ruffling.
- ruffle (n.)
- "ornamental frill," 1707, from ruffle (v.).
- 1. Its body plumage suddenly began to ruffle and swell.
- 2. His direct, often abrasive approach will doubtless ruffle a few feathers.
- 3. Politicians are usually careful not to ruffle the feathers of their constituents.
- 4. Her blouse has a ruffle of lace around the neck.
- 5. Tame birds, when approached, will stretch out their necks and ruffle their neck feathering.
[ ruffle 造句 ]