- vi. 补偿，赔偿；抵消
- vt. 补偿，赔偿；付报酬
CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1、com- "with" + pens- "weigh" + -ate.
2、字面含义为：weigh one thing (against another); 引申为：to counterbalance, to be equivalent.
com-, 强调。-pend, 悬垂，称量，词源同pendulum, pound. 即称量使对等的，补偿。
- compensate: see ponder
- compensate (v.)
- 1640s, "to be equivalent;" 1650s, "to counterbalance, make up for," from Latin compensatus, past participle of compensare "to weigh one thing (against another)," thus, "to counterbalance," from com- "with" (see com-) + pensare, frequentative of pendere "to weigh" (see pendant). Meaning "to recompense, remunerate" is from 1814. Related: Compensated; compensating.
- 1. The hospital staff were very apologetic but that couldn't really compensate.
- 2. He did not have the means to compensate her.
- 3. Nothing can compensate for the loss of a loved one.
- 4. She used her good looks to compensate her lack of intelligence.
- 5. The firm must compensate you for your traveling costs.
[ compensate 造句 ]