CET4 TEM4 IELTS GRE 考 研 TOEFL CET6
1、pen- + -al + -ty.
- penalty: see pain
- penalty (n.)
- mid-15c., from Middle French penalité and directly from Medieval Latin poenalitatem (nominative poenalitas), from Latin poenalis (see penal). The sporting sense is first recorded 1885. Ice hockey penalty box attested by 1931.
- 1. It was a crime of espionage and carried the death penalty.
- 2. The prosecutors have warned they will seek the death penalty.
- 3. Why should I pay the penalty for somebody else's mistake?
- 4. He also had his licence endorsed with eight penalty points.
- 5. He miskicked the ball twice at the edge of the penalty box.
[ penalty 造句 ]