- breadwinner (n.)
- also bread-winner, "one who supplies a living for others, especially a family," 1821, from the noun bread (probably in a literal sense) + winner, from win (v.) in its sense of "struggle for, work at." Attested slightly earlier (1818) in sense "skill or art by which one makes a living." Not too far removed from the image at the root of lord (n.).
- 1. Social status is largely determined by the occupation of the main breadwinner.
- 2. When her husband died she had to become the breadwinner.
- 3. I've always paid the bills and been the breadwinner.
- 4. When the breadwinner is ill, his children will do anything rather than starve.
- 大人病了, 儿女们做贼做娼也比饿着强!
来自汉英文学 - 骆驼祥子
- 5. When his father died, he became the breadwinner of the family.
- 父亲死后, 他便成了全家养家糊口的人.
[ breadwinner 造句 ]